Saturday, December 15, 2007

Quote of the Day

First of all...I had so much fun @ the retreat. What a great night (and meal). I only gained 1.3 pounds @ WW this week from all of the crap I ate and I am still full from our brunch!! As long as we don't do that every week, I think I'll maybe be able to make it to my goal. But I do think it's imperative that we do it often-it's so good for the soul (not the waistline but we all can't be Heidi Klum, I mean, Annie.) Does the phrase "Duck Walk" mean anything to anyone?

I have been thinking about part of our conversation at breakfast all week. For those of you who weren't there, we got on the subject of home security. We shared our different perspectives on the matter, from Carly living alone for 2 years and sleeping with a knife under her mattress, to Elena who has to remind herself to lock the front door when Mark is at work (and Shellie told us a horribly disturbing home invasion story which she can recount another time if you want to hear it). Suffice it to say- I couldn't get scary thoughts out of my head and worry and concern about what I can or should be doing to protect me and my family, etc. and I thought of this quote which I love for so many reasons:


"Worrying doesn't relieve tomorrow of it's troubles, it empties today of it's strength."
I love the use of the word strength. I feel like there are so many forces at work in the world, for us and against us, and it's of utmost importance for us as women and mothers to be strong and centered as much as we can in order to overcome obstacles and feel peace. I try to think of this quote to reign myself in when I start stressing about all I have to do and don't have time to or that my kids haven't touched a green vegetable in days and are therefore going to contract rickets and die because I am a horrible mother. I want to try be the best I can be TODAY, and not sabotage that by worrying about tomorrow and all of the things I can't control. It's important to do what we can to be prepared but we can't live in the "What If?" space or we will drive ourselves insane.
Enough. I love you all!! Cute pictures! I'll have to get some up when I figure out how to get them from my camera to this website.
Love, Nat
P.S. Can we post the "Future Retreat" schedule that we came up with to get everyone's input? I don't remember who wrote it down-maybe Shellie? Thanks!
Also, somebody figure out how to make Joaquin Phoenix a part of our blog.

3 comments:

Lilli said...

Nat, thanks so much for that quote! This is what I try to remind myself of every day, although it wasn't so eloquently thought in my mind. I work really hard to not let myself be controlled by fear (fear of a lot of things, not just being home by myself.) I have to remind myself constantly not to let the scary thoughts rob me of living, not to wallow in the inevitable guilt I feel as a mother (ahem, amen to the green vegis,) not to worry about a night spent eating crap and what it's going to do to my thighs and all the other nonsense I worry about. I am so glad you shared, I will be posting that on my fridge! I love our bookclub, I love our blog and I adore all of you!

Natalie said...

Love you too Lill! I think we are all like-minded in so many ways, though we are also very different. I hoped that someone else could benefit from my imperfect insight. Such a great and noble sentiment...if we could just strive daily to live in the moment-for today and not tomorrow. How happy would we be?!

Elena said...

I love it! You are wise beyond your years. Thanks for sharing!!!

PS points don't apply from XMAS to New Years.